Just a brief background before I begin my long post:
Gokusen's 1st season aired in Japan in 2002.
In May of 2006, the series made its way to the local TV as the very first Japanese drama to be shown in the Philippines via GMA (Channel 7).
I initially thought KimuTaku's Good Luck was the first but I was wrong. Also, Tokusatsu series may have aired in the 90s but perhaps it didn't really start the Jdrama craze
Anyway, going back, the reason I decided to post this is because I realized I never got to mention Gokusen that much here in my journal. Good thing I checked on my older blogs and found THIS
, though quite embarrassing to look back at how I used to write.😂
I'm really a big Yankumi fan and until now I want to achieve her coolness and passion. Because of her, I always think that connecting well with students is so important not just inside the classroom but also outside - - and guess what, I'm still in touch with my students especially those I handled back in 2007-2008. So much nostlgia just remembering the good old days.
GOKUSEN is a drama that touches lives of both students and teachers. We all became a student once in our lives so it's not impossible to relate to the fun, adventures and struggles of the students in the series. Each episode has a lesson to teach. Each character has words of wisdom to live by. We're not just an audience but a part of Yankumi's big classroom. That must be the reason why it left an impact to us.
So,THANK YOU GOKUSEN:
- for the life lessons
- for making us value our friends and our school days
- for showing us the real meaning of being "strong"
- for proving that people can change as long as someone believes in them
- for being an eye opener to the adults that what's problematic to their perspective may actually be a call for help
- for all the laughters and tears
- for the casts that made us love and hate their characters
- for the awesome OST
- for the happy memories of going home just to be able to catch you on TV
- for letting us meet a wonderful teacher named Kumiko Yamaguchi a.k.a. Yankumi
- for the friends we met because of a shared passion
- for introducing me to Matsujun, that lead me to listening to Arashi, that also lead me to Johnny's Entertainment, and look where I am now, still a J&A trash HAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha
- for being the gateway to more Japanese dramas
- for the consistent reminder that anime-guys exist in real life (oh yes I'm looking at you ALL GOKUSEN main student casts from S1 to S3)
- and finally, for being the first Jdrama to enter our lives after all the Taiwanese and Kdrama craze in PH
I might still talk about Gokusen in the next 15 years. Might still tell same things over and over again as if it was just yesterday. Hopefully people would still consider Gokusen as something "good to watch" someday despite the numerous dramas shown seasonally. Who knows, we might even get a new adaptation. But this Gokusen remains legendary and most memorable. Dear self, please don't forget that.PS. I'm writing this early this morning without sleep. Will check any mistake when I wake up later. xD